Saturday, October 11, 2008

CONQUERING MY ADDICTION AND SURVIVING

I have been Internet-free for 19 days and am a stronger person because of it. I hope I don't have a relapse -- we will see...
I'm now in South Beach Miami (I'll be at Coral Gables Books & Books tonight)
WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT the Panama Canal trip now that it's over?

It was astounding. Seeing the miracle of engineering and perseverance.
It made me realize that accomplishing a closely held dream is one of the greatest things a human can do.


and ever since I saw 'Romancing the Stone' I've wanted to see Cartagena, Columbia. What a marvelous city. I am so into forts and ruins and souvenirs...
I snorkeled at a ship wreck off Aruba-it reminded me of home... you'll have to wait for the results as I had to use REAL film...

Curacao reminded me of Bergen.
And best of all?
SO MANY characters... SO LITTLE time... They were ALL on the boat.
I will select a few meaningful phrases over heard.

"Marge you don't have to take EVERY thing on the damn buffet...You SELECT...SEE? Look at my plate..."
"But George I don't want the chef to feel bad..."

"Look honey! Those are just like the dolphins at sea world! I wonder how they train them to jump like that out in the middle of the ocean..."

"Sweetie yes. If you fell overboard I would most CERTAINLY report it" (then after she walked away he added in a lowered voice "if not that same day then maybe the next..."

They're ALL going in my novel.
If not this one...the next.
Promise.

14 comments:

Dawn Anon said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful trip.

I'm so happy to find a new post from you this morning. I can't stop laughing about the if not today then tomorrow comment

hope you have a great time tonight at Coral Gables Books

Anonymous said...

hilarious comments!!! It's great you can remember them. I tend to forget them as soon as I hear them and can't, for the life of me, repeat them to friends.

Marian Perera said...

Love the dolphin remark!

Janet said...

LOL! The problem with fiction though, is that it has to be believable. Real life suffers no such restriction.

JKB said...

That is the great thing about fiction, it sounds as if you had a great time. I only tried snorkeling once, and managed to thoroughly freak myself out. I couldn't get the breathing while underwater thing.

My second lottery came in the mail today! Someone 'borrowed' my previous copy so I HAD to get a new one!

:)

Heidi Willis said...

what a fantastic experience!

I love the line about achieving dreams being one of the greatest things a human can do. It's not just writers who dream, eh?

Great dialog, too! Those are the kind of people who make great characters in a book! Maybe I need to go on a cruise to get an idea for my next book!

Have a great time in FL!

ORION said...

jkb -- yipee! authors love that lol!
I am packing and on my way back to Honolulu...

Paula said...

The quotes just made me literally LOL; which raised questions from my co-workers. I'll be passing the link to your blog around :) Thanks for making my Monday so happy - and for stopping by my blog to say hi.

Safe journey home!
Paula

Lisa R said...

Funny! Your home is still afloat and your cats will be very happy to see you! I'm glad you had a great trip!

Cloudia said...

Aloha Pat:
Thanks for allowing us the vicarious pleasures of your trip!
(and you ARE a trip ;-)
ciao!

TSL said...

WOW - you live life large! Great blog!

Sandra Cormier said...

Wow. What wonderful pictures. I'm having so much fun through you!

Brenda said...

Great comments! Reminds me of a comment a friend of my brother's made when my mother offered him a piece of chocolate pie. "No, thank you," he said, "Seems like all the chocolate pie I've had lately has been lumpy."

I used that quote in a short story I wrote 40 years later!

Michelle O'Neil said...

I LOVE those bits of dialogue that land in my lap. They are irresistable.