Sunday, September 07, 2008

THIS COULD BE YOU ...50 FEET OF A HUNK A HUNK A BURNIN' LOVE...

So could you live on a boat?
This is the upper deck:



And here is below deck:

We modified the table slightly and remodeled the galley.
It's definitely not like a house, but let me help you decide if this life is for you.
Unfasten your toilet. Move it to the smallest cupboard underneath the counter in your kitchen. Now run a long hose from the toilet outside. Now plug this hose with...well you know what to plug it with...(if you have a two year old they can help)
Let your husband cram into the cupboard with several tools he does not need. Now ask him to fix the toilet.
Tell him that you have 12 people coming for dinner.
In a half hour.
Can you handle that?
Okay try this.
Move your stove into your pantry. Shrink your refrigerator to 1/3 the size. Make sure you hit your head on the doorway each time you bend down to use your stove.
Try to cook chicken for 12 in an hour with a propane stove that takes 45 minutes to heat to 275 degrees.
It is not enough to cook chicken all the way through. No matter how long it's in there.
Ask me how I know.
Now run out of propane.

Take your clothes that you need to wear to work that morning. Crawl into the dryer. Turn it on. Now get dressed.
You will look disheveled.
Get used to it.

IS IT WORTH IT?



YA SURE YOU BETCHA
and...
That's the way
uh huh
uh huh
We like it
uh huh
uh huh

24 comments:

suzanneelizabeths.com said...

Is it worth it? Well from that big smile on your face, I'm guessing yep....and you'd probably gladly send out for rotisserie chicken from grocery store rather than change a thing!

ORION said...

yeah suzanne...you know all my secrets now. It didn't take long before I figured out how to entertain onboard.
1. Potluck
2. Take out
3. Pizza delivery
Not necessarily in that order...lol

Ric said...

Downsizing - sounds like a plan as I ramble about our now empty house wondering how I'm going to heat it this winter.

Where do you put the 12 people?

Jon said...

Downsizing is awesome. I have less space in my RV and love it. Entertaining? Outside under the awning. Grilling over the firepit. Aaahhhhhhh!!!!!

ssas said...

I grew up in a sailing family, and besides a wicked potty-mouth, I developed a love of all things water and sails. By the big smile on your face, you wouldn't have it any other way. :D

the Amateur Book Blogger said...

And you get new neighbours often and your view is a little different every day. But I've often wondered about boats : Do you have an address to which a postman can deliver or do you have to have a PO Box or something?

Holly Kennedy said...

A little too much wine when you posted this one, Missy?! Ha!

I've stayed on your boat, and quaint as it is I couldn't live there with my family. Sans kids and pets, maybe. But deefinitely not with two kids.

ORION said...

Ric-
with 50 feet there is plenty of room on deck and below for people to sit- when we've done the Christmas evening sail (motor actually lol!) with lights most of the passengers did sit on deck...
Jay- yeah downsizing rocks
bookblogger-
we have both a marina address and a mail service address- no need for PO Boxes as many things can't be delivered there.
Holly-
My neighbor Gabriella has 3 kids from 6 yrs to 2 yrs and they all live on a 35 ft wooden boat...
BUT no dog like Sully...
You really can't have everything aboard. You have to decide- to choose what you want at that point in your life-
It certainly is not for everyone-

laughingwolf said...

at 6'4", i'd have a helluva time in cramped spaces, much as i wanted to become a submariner early in life...

but it could be fun, at least for a while, on a 50 footer :)

Frank Baron said...

I'm afraid I'm too darn claustrophobic to survive long living on a boat.

Mayyyyybe the Queen Mary.... ;)

ORION said...

Now the Queen Mary.
I could handle that...

Wendy Roberts said...

I dream of the day I can downsize! It looks great on you :)

WendyCinNYC said...

Pbfft, small spaces? No problem. Now, could you live in an NYC apartment?

Bookfool said...

Yes, I could live that way. But, the husband would have to go. He's far too messy. I'm thinking first big storm, a big wave, a tiny shove . . .

ORION said...

hahahahaha book fool...(just make sure the insurance premium is paid up...

Joanne said...

I don't know about a living on one, but with the tropical rains from Hanna this weekend, it felt like I was at sea when the water came through the roof into the upstairs bathroom. Had to do a little bailing.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Noooooo, these big size 10 feet are made for dry land! But I'm glad you're living your dreams all the way. I'm gonna have to check out your book(s)!

ORION said...

Seriously living on a boat is not for everyone...but us munchkins are pretty happy lol

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Um, call Dominoes? Wow. No, I could not. I had no idea I was so needy. I could not. But I'm glad you can, Patricia!

Les said...

You had me at "This is the upper deck." Guess it helps that I lived aboard for 2 weeks. Learned to enjoy grilling more than cooking in the galley!

Kim said...

My husband and I are contemplating buying a boat as we speak so I think it is funny that I ran across your blog!

I will have to tell my husband the things that he DIDN'T consider! LOL!

j said...

I can't ride the ferry without getting seasick. I guess I am out.

Chris Eldin said...

Dahling, *you* look gorgeous on the boat!
I'd be barfing nonstop.

But I love your love for the ocean....
:-)

Ray Wong said...

I want your boat!