Monday, August 11, 2008

THE CONTINUING SAGA...IT COULD BE WORSE...

DAY ONE
Pressure wash. Sanding. Well, it could be worse - at least there are no blisters.
DAY TWO
Great. We got the first coat of paint on.
uh oh...
Something's missing.
The condition of the propeller is less than ideal, but it could be worse- at least it's useable and can be replaced when we're in the slip and have an extra $2,000 to spend.
Yep it could be worse...at least nothing else looks bad. I mean the rudder looks fine doesn't it?
ur...um...
DAY THREE
The rudder seems to have a slight problem, but we think we can fix it. It could be worse- It could need to be totally replaced. You could need a new rudder but yanno I think we can fix it so you'll be fine but um don't plan on any long distance cruising. It could be worse. We could have to rebuild it and you'd spend another week in the yard...
DAY FOUR
oh my she is looking nice.

It's Saturday. No one works in yards on Saturdays except for the owners...time to clean and wax. It could be worse. At least ORION is only 48 feet. She could be 49, or 50...Yeah...it could be worse. There could be experienced cleaners and waxers standing below laughing at us...
A photo of the author polishing something OTHER than her next novel...
Another two days? Three days? It could be worse...We could have to climb up and down THREE ladders to get in and out of ORION.
DAY FIVE
The last part of the waxing. It could be worse. We could be sunburned over the entire length of our bodies instead of just the back of our legs, shoulders and ears.

I have muscles aching that I didn't even know I had. It could be worse...at least neither of us fell off the scaffold... er strike that...at least Gordon didn't fall off the scaffold and hit his head on the supporting bar. It could be worse. At least I wasn't knocked out...for long...
DAY SIX
Hey, it could be worse. At least it isn't DAY SEVEN...
TO BE CONTINUED...
Okay bloggers. Finish this sentence:
"It could be worse..."

15 comments:

Dawn Anon said...

It could be worse... instead of waxing and washing your own boat for 7 days, you could be working in a boat factory for $7 an hour making boats that you'll never ride in!

(wow, i had been envious... until i saw the photo with you and the dreaded buffer! If i never touch one of those things again, it'll be toooooo soon)

Lisa said...

It could be worse...Touloose could insist on assisting with the buffing. Can't you just see him with his front paws covered in shammys?

ORION said...

Could it be? ORION might POSSIBLY be back in the water tomorrow...shhhhhh don't tell the 'could be worse fairies'...

David L. McAfee said...

It could be worse...at least the author still has access to her blog and all those bloggin' buds out there.

:)

You know, the legion of admiring and sympathetic ears...er...eyes.

Jon said...

Yo, Pat! I've got a 51' erm 33' RV that needs a good wash 'n wax! And seeing how you're in tip top shape and experienced and all that, um, you were coming to CT now, weren't you? Thanks, doll!

Heidi Willis said...

Yikes! You pretty much cured me of my desire to sell all my worldly goods and buy a sailboat!

She's lookin' good, though!

ORION said...

LIMITED access david!
Very funny jay! But CT does sound like a fun place to visit...
Actually Heidi the real deal breaker for most people is when the head stops up and you get to clean miles of poop out of one inch tubing.
I SO love it when my life is described as "living on a yacht..."
Living on a needy malfunctioning money sucking parasite of a work machine is more like it.
But yanno...she's home...

Heidi Willis said...

That made me totally laugh out loud. Not that shabby fake lol stuff....I actually laughed out loud!

At least you've got a sense of humor about it!

Anonymous said...

Wait - are you still living on it? You're actually climbing up there and sleeping in the sky? You do live a wild life, my dear!!

How are you? I miss our chats. I'm up north, halfway through a month in the Muskokas (but I assure you my cottage is attached to the ground!)

I hope it isn't windy in Hawaii tonight...

Hugs,
Tish Cohen

(Blogger isn't recognizing me today. I'm not offended)

ORION said...

Hey I recognize you Tish...EVERYBODY Tish's book INSIDE OUT GIRL is OUT NOW!!!!!!
(Check out who blurbed it lol!!!)

BClark said...

It could be worse that you did not have this boat at all and would have missed all this fun?

It could be worse that you were docked in Alaska and were being eating alive by flies and mesquitoes(? or how ever you spell it)followed by freezing to death?

Oh, Jay, marvelous idea, do you think she would swing by Iowa and do our Chieftan?

I wonder if they have some wonder drug that would help my spelling?

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Wow. I had no idea what went into caring for a boat. Now I know what to say when the hubby asks for a boat - and who's going to be taking care of it? hmmmm? cause it won't be me! That's too much work!!!

Hope you are in water soon!

writtenwyrdd said...

It could be worse. You could be living 'on the hard' all the time. It could be worse. You could be mowing a lawn every Saturday afternoon. It could be worse. You would have so much more space you'd have enless clutter. It could be worse!

laughingwolf said...

it could be worse, pat... with an ol wuff underfoot! :O lol

Kanani said...

I see that and I just want to take Orion and sail away. No phones, no internet, no nothing --just the wind, sun, sea and the purpose of just enjoying being where you are right then.