Thursday, October 12, 2006

WANTED: MUSE. MUST BE WILLING TO WORK MORNINGS AND WEEKENDS


ODIE 1991 - 2006

77 degrees at 7:30 am
One of the hardest tasks anyone is faced with is the death of a beloved pet. Odie was with us for fifteen years. That's a long time in cat-years. I have had human friendships which have not lasted that long.
His qualities were many, I cannot name them all. He was a cat. Inscrutable. Independent. Sweet. Shy. In his later years he learned to sail with us but only grudgingly.
I am reminded of the movie made from the Razor's Edge and the death of the experienced ambulance driver.
Lists of annoying habits.
He had many.
He hurled after every tenth meal. Scattered kitty litter from the kitchen to the bedroom. Yowled at three in the morning just for the hell of it. Scratched the furniture. Hissed at strangers. Got seasick regularly. Writhed in my arms when impatient with being held. Stretched out in that particular floor space you were about to walk across and then squealed in indignation when his tail was accidently brushed against.
All of these things he did.
But he will be missed.
He will be sorely missed.

2 comments:

Maya Reynolds said...

Oh, this post really hit home with me.

Tribble, my beloved calico Manx, is almost twenty. She is cranky, annoying as hell, and so dear to my heart.

I grieve the loss of your Odie.

Regards,

Maya

ORION said...

How nice of you to check out my blog and thank you so much for your kind comments. Give your kitty a hug for me!